This role is a Hybrid role – requiring 3 days in the office at our East Brunswick, NJ office and 2 days remote.
The Paralegal is a key member of the legal team assisting the Chief Legal Officer in managing all legal matters for the company by providing paralegal support. Serves as the intermediary between the Chief Legal Officer, internal stakeholders, the Board of Directors, and external attorneys.
This position has no direct reports.
- Implement and maintain new matter management system.
- Provide corporate governance support by managing corporate filings, minute books (paper and digital), entity records, and related documents and formalities.
- Provide support for litigation, corporate and transactional matters
- Assist in drafting, preparing, and/or proofing and managing several different types of commercial agreements and contracts (typically from templates or samples), including supply agreements, license agreements, tech transfer agreements, CDA/NDAs etc.
- Assist with preparation, assembly of board, board committees, and other meeting materials and minutes.
- Identify and summarize legal issues and prepare reports for attorney review.
- Develop and maintain calendar system to track contract renewals, expiration dates, and compliance obligation deadlines.
- Proofread, edit, revise, and redline legal documents with a high degree of accuracy and promptness.
- Organize and maintain electronic and paper files.
- Assist with outside counsel invoice review and approval.
- Manage projects, including developing task lists and scheduling meetings.
- Assist with regulatory filings.
- Assist with litigation matters, including supporting “legal hold” and discovery processes.
- Assist with the Company’s compliance with State Price Reporting obligations.
- Route contracts and other documents internally and externally via DocuSign.
- Perform special projects and other related duties as assigned.
- Adhere to all safety and cGMP standards and guidelines, and report unsafe conditions, near misses, and/or injuries in a timely manner.
Specialized Skills and Knowledge:
- Bachelor’s degree and paralegal certificate
- Minimum 3 years’ work experience as a Paralegal in a law firm or with an in-house legal department
- Working knowledge of legal terminology and legal writing
- Proficiency with legal research tools (preferred)
- Ability to work independently on projects requiring a high level of discretion and confidentiality
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat Suite
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent written and verbal skills
Work is primarily sedentary in nature; routine bending, walking, lifting and reaching are required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
At Avet, we require that all employees physically entering the workplace to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and you will be asked to present proof of vaccination before beginning employment unless you qualify for a reasonable accommodation based on a sincerely held religious belief or medical need.
Based on the highly regulated workplace at Avet, employees will be required to meet minimum English proficiency requirements.
Avet is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description is not all-inclusive. It acts as a guideline and is subject to change over time. Additional duties may be assigned based on business needs.